Author Karen Marie Moning says, “Who and what we surround ourselves with is who and what we become.” Who or what do you have in your life that allows you to be the person you want to be, to reach your highest goals? Need more inspiration? Follow these seven tips to getting inspired:
1. Reach out to others for advice. How have others achieved success? How have they overcome life’s biggest challenges? Reach out to local business owners or executives in your aspiring career field, professors, local celebrities, parents who’ve raised healthy children, your grandparents even. Ask them to share their greatest life lesson, or what they wish they knew when they were your age.
2. Sign up for courses. Find a class at your local community college or adult learning center. Take an art or cooking class. Can’t find what you’re looking for? Online offers many advanced learning courses, some even for free.
Follow this link to NISD Adult and Community Education Classes: https://nisd.net/ace/sites/ace/files/docs/NISDCatalogSpring2018_WebPDF.pdf
3. Use social media. It’s not all bad. YouTube is a wonderful platform for watching videos of your favorite inspirational speakers. LinkedIn is a networking site that could help you land your next job or at least introduce you to successful professionals in your desired career field.
Follow this link for a powerful inspirational video by Nick Vujicic: https://youtu.be/zOzsjEmjjHs
4. Read a book. Try Daring Greatly by Brene Brown, a prominent social science researcher and author of four #1 New York Times best sellers. https://books.google.com/books?id=2JFADwAAQBAJ&pg=PP9&source=kp_read_button
5. Listen to TED Talks. TED Talks are a forum for renowned professionals and researchers to share their ideas with the world in 18 minutes or less.
Follow this link to a TED Talk on finding inspiration and taking chances: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmN4xOGkxGo&sns=em
6. Join or form a group of like-minded individuals. Groups come in many formats: support groups, educational groups, professional affiliations, book clubs, or even recreational groups, like those found at meet-up.com. Follow this link to a meetup of New Braunfels professionals looking to network, or browse the meetup site for adult sports and recreational groups. https://www.meetup.com/topics/professional-networking/us/tx/new_braunfels/
7. Seek counseling or hire a life coach. These professionals can counsel and encourage you on matters having to do with your career or personal challenges. They can teach you problem solving skills to overcome any barriers to your success. They can keep you accountable for taking the steps needed to reach your goals. For more information, call our office at (830)730-6090.
Kristel Zoller, LPC
InMindOut Emotional Wellness Center